Information for TRICARE members in Washington state

Information for TRICARE members in Washington state

Our office regulates insurance, but not every kind of insurance. One of the types of insurance we don’t regulate are military health plans, such as TRICARE, which is regulated by the U.S. Department of Defense. However, we occasionally receive complaints, calls, and email inquiries from military members and retirees about those plans.

On Jan. 1, TRICARE’s contracted insurance provider changed from UnitedHealthcare Military & Veterans to Health Net Federal Services. We have heard from some consumers and the TRICARE West Region that their call center is experiencing higher volume of calls with long wait times, enrollment backlogs, referral and authorization processing backlogs, and limited network provider directory & delivery issues.

While we are unable to assist in resolving military health plan complaints, we do have information that may help some people:
  • TRICARE West customer service number: 1-844-866-9378
  • Inquiries regarding West Region claims with dates of service prior to January 1, 2018 should be directed to UnitedHealthcare Military & Veterans. For all other inquiries, contact Health Net Federal Services at 1-844-866-9378 or go to its online portal.
  • Consumers may file a complaint online with TRICARE.
  • For more details about the transition from UHC to Health Net Federal Services, see the FAQ for Beneficiaries.
  • If you decide to contact your Congressional representative, be sure to include TRICARE West’s response to your inquiry. If they advise you to contact your state’s insurance commissioner, let them know that we do not regulate your insurer.
  • Find health care information for veterans from the OIC.

If you have questions about another type of insurance – auto, renter, homeowner, or another type of property, you can talk to a consumer advocate by calling 1-800-562-6900 or contact us online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top of the Week